Tuesday, February 27, 2024

HEY, THERE, IT'S YOGI BEAR! (1964)

 







PHENOMENALITY: *marvelous*
MYTHICITY: *poor*
FRYEAN MYTHOS: *comedy*
CAMPBELLIAN FUNCTION: *psychological*


I saw this YOGI BEAR movie in general release, just as I did THE MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE, but even as a kid, I had more pleasant memories of the latter cartoon-film. I knew both franchises from their TV incarnations, but I don't remember having a lot of regard for Yogi in any version. He was pleasant, "comfy-couch" entertainment, historically significant for being Hanna-Barbera's first breakout TV character, far more recognizable than Huckleberry Hound or Ruff 'n Reddy.

I'm not going to relate the plot at all. Like many of the TV episodes, the movie's action hinges on the vaguely parental relationship between the impulsive "not as smart as he thinks he is" bruin and Ranger Smith, the voice of authority in Jellystone Park. There's a subplot in which Cindy Bear hopes to tame Yogi's wastrel ways and mold him into a proper boyfriend. But no one will be surprised to learn that though Yogi does reciprocate Cindy's feelings, nothing about the status quo changes-- though it certainly COULD have, since the TV cartoon had ended two years previous. Oh, and Yogi's perennial sidekick Boo Boo is in there, but he only gets to do a few slapstick-routines. In short, Yogi's scheming tendencies cause Cindy to get sent from the park to a zoo, but on the way she ends up forced to perform in a cheapjack circus. Yogi rescues her and then he himself must be corralled back at Jellystone.



There are only two interesting facets of the picayune story. One is the movie's only good musical number, a jazzy little ditty called "St. Louis," which I still recall enjoying from my kid-viewing. The other is that HEY THERE includes an embryonic version of Dick Dastardly and Muttley of WACKY RACES fame, in the form of the crooked circus-owner Grifter Chizzling and his dog Mugger. Voice actor Don Messick had done one or two "snickering dog" characters prior to HEY THERE. Yet it seems to me that the credited writers for this film-- one Warren Foster as well as the titular producers Hanna and Barbera-- really came up with the winning combination of characters. Of course, no one would remember Grifter and Mugger if they hadn't been recycled into two far superior comic villains. But that's what makes, uh, cartoon races.

2 comments:

  1. Yogi Bear - now you're talking, GP. I only ever saw it on TV and I now have the DVD, but I haven't watched the movie in years. I really enjoyed the CGI/live action film from a few years ago - thought it was brilliant, but then again, I've always had a soft spot for the bold bruin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to read that the Yogi voice was based on Art Carney's Ed Norton, because the PERSONALITY is more like that of Ralph Kramden,

    I'll keep on the lookout for the live-action movie. You never know what people can do with old IP. I don't always like snarky spoofs, but HARVEY BIRDMAN was IMO much better than Original BIRDMAN.

    ReplyDelete